Monday, February 8, 2010

Finding Support in a Social Network

Classroom 2.0 - "the social network for those interested in Web 2.0 and Social Media in education" - could be a very useful resource for me as I begin teaching adults in an ESL classroom. The site's Discussion Forum facilitates teacher learning through dialogue with teachers who are knowledgeable about Web 2.0 and those building their knowledge. I especially like that participants share examples of good blogs, podcasts, etc., which serve as models for others trying to start up similar projects. The sharing of knowledge and resources makes the Forum like an ongoing "peer help" discussion board with the world of teachers! Down the road, I can see myself using the Forum as much for collaborative purposes as for informative purposes. For example, the Forum could be a resource for finding a class that is interested in becoming a collaborative partner with my ESL class so that my students have new opportunities to practice speaking and writing skills through skype or blogs.

Another promising component of this social network is the Classroom 2.0 LIVE! Workshop series. I imagine that I may feel overwhelmed and too busy to set up a digital learning experience in my first year of teaching. The Classroom 2.0 LIVE Beginner Series looks especially encouraging as a refresher from this LAI 598 course on how e-learning projects can support students' learning. Some tools introduced in the workshops are described as resources to make your life easier...a good reminder for teachers hesitant to invest time in technology.

Furthermore, Classroom 2.0 has hundreds of groups to join. Once I venture beyond the Classroom 2.0 Beginners Group, I'm sure to find others that fit my interests and needs. Perhaps I will join or create a group specifically for ESL teachers who are interested in using technology in their classrooms. It's encouraging to know that there is a strong network of support and collaboration among teachers who see the potential for Web 2.0 in their curriculum.

No comments:

Post a Comment